Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Bad Breath= Halitosis
Millions of people throughout the world suffer from bad breath. Bad breath is responsible for the embarrassment and destroys relationships with family and friends. It may flatten your confidence and self esteem and may even cause severe depression.
Bad Breath Cause:
Bad breath is due to anaerobic bacteria that live within the surface of the tongue and throat, that produce smelly sulfur compounds when they come in contact with proteins which cause bad breath. Bad breath may be due to a number of reasons:
1. Bad dental hygiene
2. Gum disease
3. Tooth decay
4. Plaque on the tongue can cause bad breath where bacteria can grow.
5. If you do not clean your mouth after consuming alcoholic drinks, tobacco chewing, cigarette smoking, and foods like onions, garlic, etc., it can contribute to bad breadth.
7. Bacteria in mouth
8. Heavy metal accumulation
9. Some disease like diabetes, gingivitis, esophageal cancer, lung abscess, liver disease, etc.)
10. Excessive use of alcohol based mouthwash like Listerine. If you use such a mouth wash before sleeping, then your mouth will remian dry for tghe whole night, which can cause bad breath.
11. Throat infection
13. A deficiency of vitamin B and/or zinc may be the cause of your bad breath.
14. Drugs (Paraldehyde, inhaled anesthetics, insulin injection, etc.)
Bad Breath Cure : Home Remedy
1. Brush your teeth in the morning, in the evening, and after every meal, specially after consuming milk products, fish and meat.
2. Brush your tongue along with your teeth regularly.
3. Wash the tongue with baking soda dissolved in warm water to reduce the acidity in your mouth making a less-friendly environment for the bacteria to grow.
4. Brushing and flossingteeth regularly can rid off bad breath.
5. Clean and replace your toothbrush regularly.
6. Avoid mouthwashes with dyes and alcohol. Mouthwash containing cetylpyridinium chloride, chlorine dioxide, sodium chlorite or zinc may serve as an antibacterial agent, that can control the number of anaerobic bacteria in mouth.
7. Parsley, coriander, basil, rosemary, thyme, wintergreen, cardamom seeds, cinnamon bark, clove, fennel or anise seeds are great breath fresheners. Slowly chew any of these herbs and allow the saliva to build up in your mouth.
8. A study (Feb 2005) reported to the International Association for Dental research suggests that eating plain yogurt for 6 weeks can sweeten your breath because it reduces levels of offensive compounds produced by bacteria in the mouth by 80%.
9. Rinse your mouth before sleeping with a glass of water with the juice of half a lemon added.
10. Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
11. Talk to your periodontist about gum and teeth problems that might be the cause of bad breath.
12. If you keep teeth, tongue, and mouth clean, you will not suffer from the problem of bad breath. You should take all care in cleaning your teeth by using proper tooth brush and adopting correct brushing technique. Follow the good oral hygiene rules. Please read all the information given in the related links given above.
Bad Breath Worst Home Remedies
The American Academy of Periodontology has identified following most ineffective home remedies for bad breath. These remedies can be only temporary fixes of the problem, they do not remove the root cause of the problem. You should not try these remedies.
1. Excessive use of alcohol based mouthwash.
2. Chewing gum and chewing tobacco.
3. Vodka martinis or sour mash whiskey: These will dry your mouth.
4. Brushing with household cleanser: They contain poisonous chemicals.
5. Rinsing with kerosene.
6. Tongue piercing: Increases chances of more bacteria on tongue.
7. Intestinal cleansing methods: It does not help as the bad breath does not originate from the stomach.
source: Bad Breath Cure & Home Remedy : Causes of Bad Breath
1) Take a sample of the smell of your tongue by licking the inside of your wrist or the back of your hand. Wait for it to dry, then smell the licked area. If it smells bad you have bad breath
2) Stand in front of the mirror and stick your tongue out so far as possible. If you detect that the back of your tongue is whitish, it could be a sign that you have bad mouth odour.
3) If at all possible, one of the finest and most truthful methods to test whether you have bad mouth odor is to ask the opinion of someone close to you or whom you can have faith in. The truth might be ugly but the answer will certainly be an honest and therefor use one.
4) One fast strategy that dentists use to check for dragon breath that you may also try at home is to wipe the top surface of the tongue with a bit of cotton swab and then smelling the odour on the cotton. If the cotton swab also produce a yellowish stain after you wipe your tongue, it’s likely you have got a high concentration of unstable sulfuric compounds ( VSC ), an indication of protracted halitosis.
other articles you may refer:
1) Drkam’s Blog